SMi Reports: The National Institutes of Health announce one of the most ambitious medical projects in biobanking, which will commence this spring.
Their aim is to produce a collection of health information from participants, ideally a representative sample of the US population, in the hopes of gaining new insights into who is affected by disease and why, as well as how we can prevent and treat chronic diseases. Investment in the project is growing rapidly, with a confirmed budget of $230 million in 2017, and $1.455 billion authorised by Congress over 10 years*.
The growing popularity of biobanking proves a promising future that is to be discussed in detail at the Biobanking conference on the 13th and 14th June 2018 in London, UK. The event aims to strengthen current knowledge in biosample management and its research applications, regulations, the application of novel technologies associated with biobanking, as well as new data protection software and security.
The two-day conference’s packed agenda includes expert speakers from 9 internationally recognised biobanks, including:
· Gareth Bicknell, Biobank Operations Manager, Human Biomaterials Resource Centre
· Balwir Matharoo-Ball, Deputy Director, Nottingham Health Science Biobank, President, ESBB
· Kristian Spreckley, Business Development Director, UK Biobank/UK Biocentre
· Shona Kerr, Project Manager, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine
· Aarno Palotie, Research Director, Finland Institute for Molecular Medicine
· Emma Snapes, Biobank Manager, Irish Centre for Foetal and Neonatal Translational Research
· Paedar MacGabhann, Director, Biostor Ireland
· Sofia Spyrou, Production Manager, UK Stem Cell Bank
· Jennifer Cheeseman-Janes, Senior Director, Biobank and Translational Research Core, Duke University Department of Surgery
In addition to biobank representatives, the event will also feature presentations given by scientific pioneers from pharmaceutical companies and academics, who will be discussing biobanking applications in industry and translational research, guidelines, safety and regulation of biosamples, technology updates and sample management, and the impact of data protection regulations.
*The New York Times
For this year’s full agenda and speaker line-up, visit the website to download the brochure at:
Early Bird Discount: Book by 30th April and save £100
Interested in sponsoring, exhibiting or speaking at this event?
Contact Alia Malick, Director, on +44 (0) 20 827 6168 or email [email protected]
For media enquiries, contact Maria Mandic on +44 (0) 20 7827 6000 or [email protected]
13th – 14th June 2018
Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, London, UK
Contact e-mail: [email protected]
Contact tel: +44 (0) 207 827 6000
Follow us @SMiPharm
About SMi Group: Established since 1993, the SMi Group is a global event-production company that specializes in Business-to-Business Conferences, Workshops, Masterclasses and online Communities. We create and deliver events in the Defence, Security, Energy, Utilities, Finance and Pharmaceutical industries. We pride ourselves on having access to the world’s most forward-thinking opinion leaders and visionaries, allowing us to bring our communities together to Learn, Engage, Share and Network. More information can be found at http://www.smi-online.co.uk